[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed

M Cook dshieldlists at versateam.com
Fri Dec 12 03:26:32 GMT 2003

I report a couple hundred spam a day to spamcop. I try to make sure that
the mail I report is in fact spam, and that burns a lot of time. But
even with fairly careful checking, sometimes one makes a mistake.

I once reported my own mail server, though it was more likely that
spamcop misinterpreted the header of a valid spam message. I would have
preferred that spamcop had a higher threshold than a single errant
report. But it did get unlisted within a few days, and I had an
alternative smtp I could use during the interim.

Humans may not make as many mistakes as computers, but they are seldom
perfect. With something like spam reporting, one has to expect a mistake
now and again. If it happens too many times in a row from the same user,
that's when it is time to be a bit ... bothered.

(No it wasn't me who reported the dshield confirmation by mistake!)