[RE: [Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Rick Klinge rick at jaray.net
Fri Dec 12 18:49:39 GMT 2003

Geeze.. let's lay this one to rest?

SpamCop like any other "free" blacklist system is an effective "tool".  It
should NOT be the sole/single tool to use to combat spam but rather used in
conjunction with other blacklist's and filters for a positive confirmation
that the source is spam.  Personally, in a business environment, I would
have the filters set so tight that just 1 piece of spam would bar all email
from that source for 6 months and I would not accept mail from them until a
10,000.00 dollar bond was received and held for 6 months.  If no more spam
received after that then the money would be returned.  (Got your attention
huh? - yep it's all about money) I wrote SpamCop concerning DShield and they
did respond and subsequently d-listed them.  Scott from Declude has a very
current list of spam databases that most 'real' email admins use
combinations of http://www.declude.com/Junkmail/support/ip4r.htm

What I would vote for would be a Global bl server system (right next to the
root DNS Servers) that would sync and balance out known spammers.

off the soapbox.. thanks for your attention,

~Rick