[RE: [Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Doug White doug at clickdoug.com
Fri Dec 12 21:05:14 GMT 2003

The munging of the complainer's email address is one of the 'features" of
spamcop that has been in demand almost from day one.  The anti-spam community is
not interested in pandering to "list washers" and are more directed to
eliminating the source of spam entirely.  It is a commonly held opinion that it
is the mail list administrator's responsibility to properly manage their own
mail lists.

The history of this feeling is due to acts of retaliation against the complainer
from the less scrupulous mailers.
While most commercial email (or bulk email as the case may be) contains wording
to the effect that there is an opt-out function, the vast majority of them are
bogus, and subject the recipient to even more spam, when it is a mail list they
did not opt-in in the first place.  The result is that most advice is to never
respond to unsolicited email.

In the case instant, the dweeb that reported a confirmation email as spam, was
the one that was in error, and this is against the reporting rules of spamcop.
The end result is that the particular person will have his account with spamcop
cancelled, and he will be banned from the service.  Additionally spamcop will
quickly de-list mailers who are being wrongfully reported on, that is once the
problem is brought to their attention, and just as quickly act against the
member who makes frivolous reports.   These rules were promulgated to attack
spam, and not targeted against legitimate mailers.

For interested very large mailers, spamcop even will grant a special link and
special handling for notifications in the even they are reported erroneously,
and will act quickly when reports are made in error. Direct contact may be made
by sending email to  deputies at admin.spamcop.net

The actual flaw with spamcop is that it is run by its users, and users as we all
know are fallible.

http://www.clickdoug.com/mailfilter.cfm
Featuring Win2003 Enterprise, RedHat Linux, CFMX 6.1 and PHP