[Dshield] [OT] Spam listed

Rick Klinge rick at jaray.net
Sat Dec 13 15:18:46 GMT 2003

John,

It does look like temmc.com has there spam filter set up wrong.  Having spam
filters is great but if they are setup wrong or misconfigured then they will
have a lot of false positives.

It does appears that your eMail server is having issues right now:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=finchhaven.com.
mx1.eskimo.com is dropping the connection before the handshake is complete.
Perhaps AOL, and others, can't confirm the origin of the mail.

The good news is that your site and mx servers are not listed in any
blacklists' world wide. FWIW, I would contact your eMail server admin and
see if they can alter/change the wait state on there end.

~Rick

<snip>
> /* snip */
>
> The problem with the anti-spam "industry" (everything's an "industry"
> these days) is that there's too many hair-trigger, mindless robots
> doing the anti-spam work.
>
> Here are two examples, one relevant to dshield; the other a recent page
> out of my life that's been going on for weeks.
>
> re: dshield. I received this:
>

> To: John Sage <jsage at finchhaven.com>
> Subject: Re: Your last message to me was rejected.
> From: postmaster at temmc.com
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:44:57 -0600
>
> Your mail with Subject: Re: [Dshield] Port 10/tcp scans
> would appear to be unsolicited mail.
>
> Your message was sent to: General DShield Discussion List
> <list at dshield.org> If you intended to contact that person for
> legitmate reasons then our apologies.
>
> ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

> From: John Sage <jsage at finchhaven.com>
> To: General DShield Discussion List <list at dshield.org>
> Subject: Re: [Dshield] Port 10/tcp scans
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:08:24 -0800
>
> /* snip */
>

> Now, am I going to bother to resend my post to this clown (apparently
> "jlinscot at temmc.com")? Heck no. Forget it. He subscribed to the
> dshield list and he's not getting posts because of some over-helpful
> spam filter, and I say tough luck..
>

> As far as recent events in my life, lately my domain name has been the
> recipient (I will *not* use the word "victim") of a joe-job. Scores of
> people at AOL have been receiving spam that allegedly comes from my
> domain.
>
> AOL is now refusing incoming email that alleges to be from my domain
> name. Do I care? No. Do I converse with anyone at AOL? Nope.

</snip>