[Dshield] [OT] Spam listed

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sat Dec 13 16:38:46 GMT 2003

Rick:

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 09:18:46AM -0600, Rick Klinge wrote:
> From: "Rick Klinge" <rick at jaray.net>
> To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:18:46 -0600
> Subject: [Dshield] [OT] Spam listed
>
> John,

/* snip */

> It does appears that your eMail server is having issues right now:
> http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=finchhaven.com.
> mx1.eskimo.com is dropping the connection before the handshake is complete.
> Perhaps AOL, and others, can't confirm the origin of the mail.

Thanks for that information; I just emailed the latest info to support
@ my POP provider.

Just today I hadn't received any email since about 4:00am, and I've
been sitting up on my POP provider in a shell account for over the
last hour doing an ls -la /var/spool/mail/jsage and there's been
nothing at all almost the entire time, even tests I've sent to myself.

One test took over an hour to be "received" at my POP provider:

  by mx1.eskimo.com (8.9.3/8.8.8) with SMTP id IAA28686
  for <jsage at finchhaven.com>; Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:14:43 -0800

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:14:42 -0800 (PST)

Now suddenly I see:

[jsage] ls -la /var/spool/mail/jsage
-rw-------  1 jsage        3084 Dec 13 08:14 /var/spool/mail/jsage

and I just received a little trickle :-/

> The good news is that your site and mx servers are not listed in any
> blacklists' world wide.

That's good to know; this joe-job nonsense has had me a little
worried.

What resources did you use to check this?

- John
--
"Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?"
-