[Dshield] MSFT Internet Explorer, %01 URL spoofing

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Sat Dec 13 19:42:44 GMT 2003

I was playing earlier with the latest Internet Explorer URL spoofing
vulnerability. If you havent heard yet: By inserting the ASCII character
'0x01' into your URL, you can trick Internet Explorer into hiding the
actual URL you go to.

Of course, https does not protect you in this case, unless you are
looking at the certificate. If you need to explain to someone how bad
this can be, take a look at my little demo page:

http://johannes.homepc.org/ievuln.html

I am not exactly sure what to tell people that would like to protect
themselves. Is 'using a different browser' the only protection? Looking
at the certificate will of course help. But thats not always so easy for
a non-technical user.

phone: (617) 786 1563
  fax: (617) 786 1550                          jullrich at sans.org