[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

David Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Sun Dec 14 19:40:06 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 13:09, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Kenneth Coney wrote:
>
> Riiiight.  People have been sending LARTs to the abuse desks of dozens
> of negligent ISPs in China, Korea, Brazil, Argentina, etc. for YEARS and
[snip]
> If LARTing worked then there would be no need for
> Spamcop, SPEWS, and blocklists in general.  But we tried that first and
> it was a joke.  The blocklists are a direct consequence of the plan that
> you describe failing horribly.

I have written extensively on this issue to our clients and, from time
to time, to the press. Everything that you post is indisputable.

The issue is routinely misaddressed in my opinion. It lacks pragmatic
study and comparison of the costs of spam in contrast to the costs of
false positives. Our internal policy is quite draconian. For example, we
do not accept mail from freemail providers. However in our small
environment, we do not lose clients nor the ability of their executives
to communicate with us.

We have found that we can substantially reduce spam with training. I
review the email logs of one of our larger clients (a multi-location NYC
post-secondary educator) daily. Most of the spam that they get is
generated by the users themselves. We have had them reissue user names
and author an internal AUP. It's working well. I just think that there
are better solutions to what we all agree is a problem.