[Dshield] Encryption

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Mon Dec 15 15:12:51 GMT 2003

> Does anyone have a link or advice on encryption? Our business
> would like to begin encrypting sensitive e-mail. Currently using
> Outlook 2K & Outlook Express 2K.

There are essentially two 'standards':
- S/MIME
- PGP

S/Mime is supported by Outlook out of the box (I think even Outlook
express). So I would probably try it first. The only issue with SMIME
is that you need certificates. You can generate your own (which
requires setting up a certificate server), or get them from a
company like Verisign/Thawte/Geotrust. Thawte offers free certificates:
http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/index.html

PGP may be a bit harder to get started with in Outlook. However,
once you have it setup, you can generate your own keys. I don't know
how much they charge for the commercial version (www.pgp.com) right now.
One issue has been that it was almost as hard to buy a small number of
commercial PGP licenses, as it was to get the freeware versions up and
running.

phone: (617) 786 1563
  fax: (617) 786 1550                          jullrich at sans.org