[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Doug White doug at clickdoug.com
Mon Dec 15 22:00:34 GMT 2003

Blocking at the gateway is a last defense, and serves to reduce the risk.  That
is all the mail server administrator can do.  He is not authorities to the rest
of the world, and cannot impose any rules on service providers to clean up their
respective acts. All he can legally do is to refuse them access to his servers.

I would prefer not to have to do any blocking, however, with the current state
of email affairs, their has not yet been advanced a better way to conserve my
(and by extension, my clients) resources.

We also block all of China-Korea-Wannadoo, and some others who have lost the
privilege of sending mail to our clients.  I don't see the enabling of the US
"Can Spam" act as having any effect on our blocking policies at all.  There are
a number of US sources which are blocked as well.

We have a number of corporate and business clients who route their incoming mail
through our gateway servers, and have told us of the increased productivity, and
cost savings They now enjoy.  This together with an on-going education process
of the end users about proper company mail usage, is giving them back control of
their in-boxes.

Where do you suggest the problem be addressed, if not at the gateway?  We are
not trying to save the world, just reduce our own risk.

http://www.clickdoug.com/mailfilter.cfm
Featuring Win2003 Enterprise, RedHat Linux, CFMX 6.1 and PHP