[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:45:58 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 11:44, Richard Golodner wrote:
> But what if there is no need for your company to do business with Asia? Is
> it wrong to firewall the netblocks of companies, organizations and people
> that do not need to access my corpoarte network? I save myself a lot of
> headaches by not allowing Wanadoo traffic see my network. Is this wrong?
> 					Richard

The rules for non-ISP businesses are different than for ISP businesses.

We do this (block large tracts of Asia, Europe and South America), and
the only time a problem has been reported was when one of our people
posted to a mailing list and someone from a blocked region attempted to
reply off-list and got bounced.

The regional blocks plus open relay lists maintained by calmer persons
go a long way towards reducing the spam that makes it in to us. Accurate
dynamic-IP DNSBLs from the larger ISPs would go a long way towards
squelching the remainder.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  There is no problem that cannot be solved by the appropriate