[Dshield] IP Address --> Country Script

Michael Boman michael.boman at securecirt.com
Tue Dec 16 10:07:09 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 06:54, Allan Liska wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have a script that will identify the country of origin of
> an IP Address (realizing, of course, that this is not an exact
> science).  I would prefer something that can be run from the command
> line, so I can enter in large numbers of IP Addresses -- or even
> better -- something that can query a file.

MaxMind (http://www.maxmind.com/) has a product called "GeoIP" that has
an extensive API and even a stand-alone shell tool. There is a GPL
version of the API that contain the country database.

I am not sure how up-to-date it is, but you can buy a subscription for
updates (and it looks pretty cheep as well).

I don't work for them nor do I get any money from them telling you this.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman