[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Tue Dec 16 17:31:04 GMT 2003

Total agreement (rant).  We need to put more of the responsibility on the
IPs.  No doubt this attitude is unpopular with the IPs.  Still they sit
there and control the traffic that goes through their servers.  To me, they
are as responsible as a landlord allowing a tenant to run a crackhouse or a
house of ill repute.  (Asset forfeiture with the servers being sold and
spam victims receiving the money comes to mind as a possible.)  The
penalties should be similar.  We also need to put some pressure on the
legislators who love raising taxes, but who offer little constructive
legislation in dealing with Spammers.  (VA excepted and their first
criminal case will be followed with interest by many.)  Class A blocks work
and do cut spam.  If there is a reason why I should allow a computer
communication from Korea, China, or 100 other nations where I know no one
and desire no communication with, I have yet to hear it.  Still class A
blocks (like patches and firewalls) are only symptoms that there is a
problem. and not an elimination of the problem.  Since the IP owners cited
don't seem willing to control and police what happens on their networks
themselves, then legislation with draconian penalties seems to be needed.
Let a few $100,000+ setups be confiscated and sold, due to someone's
ignoring of emails to abuse@ or ignoring mass Spam emails continually going
out from a PC, and you will see a change in attitude.  Trust me, if a
Spammer starts costing an IP owner money the Spammer will vanish, but as
long as the IP owner is making money from the Spammer, then the Spam will
continue.

Here's a question that could lead to control of Spam;
Should a State license (with serious penalties for end users and IPs that
ignore the rule) be required for each machine that will send more than 150
emails per month?
(Second and third licenses envisioned for users who send more than 500 per
month, or 1000 per day, etc.  Make them pay more for each 500 emails, cut
the Spam profit.)