[Dshield] Netbios over tcpip never good ? (was spamcop listed)

Richard Roy RoyR at justicetrax.com
Tue Dec 16 18:52:42 GMT 2003

I don't mean to start a FLAME war, but this IS a group of security
minded individuals correct?
I must disagree strongly.  NETBIOS has NO place on the Internet PERIOD.
OUCH! I can not believe that anyone would ever be seroius about that.
MS themselves in their own training courses tells you that netbios does
not belong over the Internet.
Why on Earth would you do any of the things you indicated unless you had
no clue how to do them more securely?
If you want to login to a website that uses NTLM, use ssl, not
difficult.
If you want to map to a friend's computer, ask they why they are
exposing their files to everyone! Use VPN endpoints.  The traffic is not
encrypted unless you do so.
If your servers have netbios exposed to the Internet......you'd better
freshen up that resume.  That is what VPN is for.

I apologize if this is a bit mean spirited, but I cannot believe anyone
who subscribes to this list and reads the postings would have this type
of an uninformed attitude.