[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Doug White doug at clickdoug.com
Tue Dec 16 20:34:02 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Brenton" <cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

| On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 12:31, Kenneth Coney wrote:
| > Total agreement (rant).  We need to put more of the responsibility on the
| > IPs.  No doubt this attitude is unpopular with the IPs.

Not a viable idea.  All the anti-spam laws, State and Federal specifically
exempt the providers from responsibility.

Secondly, spamming via a provider is not a crime, it is a civil wrong (violation
of AUP, etc) and anyone who is a party to a contract is legally able to fail to
enforce its provisions.

That said, I credit many providers for strictly enforcing their own anti-spam
policies (I fall into this category)
and rant about the ones that don't.

As a participant in the net, I consider it responsible to avoid abusing other
systems, but also realize I could well be in the minority with this line of
thinking.  By blacklisting those who don't act responsible, I am sending the
message that they must earn my respect, not demand it.