[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 16:18:19 GMT 2003

Richard,

well spoken and constructive. It occurs to me that in a free worldwide
market such as we have with public services like the Internet the only
thing that will work effectively is to find a way to internalize the
economic cost to the spammer of their activity. In this respect I think
the ebay trust model based on user feedback ratings could serve as a
guide on how to address the spam problem. In other words we have to make
NOT sending spam into a profitable business for one or more service
providers. either through enhanced "reputational equity" and higher
consequent market share, or, by profiting directly by maintaining a
"spam-free" scorecard or white-list kind of service of good email senders.

For all its well known faults as sometimes documented/ranted upon on
this  list, AOL, as a major provider of email services, has made a
concerted effort to block spam and their latest version of their fat
client, AOL 9.0, as well as their Netscape 7.1 based email service
actually do a very effective job of spam filtering while allowing the
end user to inspect the filtered spam message file to see if there are
false positives and also to easily add false negatives to the spam
filter. My experience with this new capability has been quite good and
the rate of false negatives and positives has been reasonable. Out of
~50 legitimate emails per day and only ~2-5 false negatives and  ~0-2
false positives.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International