[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed]

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Wed Dec 17 19:38:02 GMT 2003

While in the broader sense I suspect I have already addressed these points
in today's Dshield comments, I don't know yet if the reply below came to
just me, or to the list too, but I will reply.

[Subsequently found to have been sent to both me and the list, but my reply
is the same.]

You are right.  I am parochial.  Especially with regards to spam mail
offering me ways to increase the size of different portions of my anatomy
depending on my sex, make pounds evaporate, grow hair when no more is
needed, promise me millions of dollars or a secret mate, if only I supply
someone with my credit card or a bank number, email viruses, pings and
trojan attacks from Korea, China, France, Sweden, and a thousand other
similar things I am parochial about.

Your envisionment of my attitude displays a lack of knowledge.  Sure, I
have occasional contact with those places.  Have even stayed in some of
them and interacted with occupants thereof.  Might even go to one soon.  I
buy machinery and tools made in China frequently (because US competitive
products are either more expensive or simply not available.  Have you
omparison priced a US produced Bridgeport Mill against a Grizzly (CN brand
name) Mill lately?  That does not mean I want to waste my time by viewing a
stock "tip" in my mail box from CN, nor does it mean I am amused at getting
a Swen attachment in an email from .Fr or an unwanted ad for a weight loss
product from .de.  I have more than one ISP and more than one account and
there is an unblocked business email address they can write me at if there
is a valid business reason.

Special handling for things coming from Class A blocks are working very
nicely for me.  (Yes, I am still getting a lot of US generated spam and
probes and viruses, but guess what?  Not only am I parochial, but I am
vengeful too.  Tracked down one repeat virus sender in St. Louis this
spring and with great joy made his life pretty miserable both on and off
the net.  Got another one in Florida last year, and one in NYC the year
before.  Kind of a hobby of mine.)

Whether or not there would be an immediate effect on senders outside the US
isn't really that important, but not for the reasons you imply.  Every
project needs a center.  To begin within the US is easiest for me.  If you
live in .de, or .fr, or .kr, etc., then you should be taking the same
approach there.  My approach would lead to the identification of US
spammers and virus senders so they could be dealt with in the most
appropriate fashion, as local laws permit.  No one else has presented an
approach to identify and punish the involved individuals.  Of course I
would also like to see the laws be really harsh for those people, with
$100K penalty fines for each instance, and 6 months in a hell hole jail for
each virus sent.  Once that was done and bad emails and hostile probes were
eliminated locally a lobbying approach for similar could be done, one
country at a time if need be.

I lose a little functionality with my firewall rules, but not nearly as
much as you would suspect and some claim.  Perhaps five Google produced
sites out of every 100 when surfing.  Since my different machines must have
over 3,000 bookmarked favorite places between them and I spend hours
surfing every other day, I really doubt it is because of a narrow focus of
interests as you implied.  More likely I just don't feel like wading
through sites written in French, Arabic, Cantonese or other with a copy of
Cassell's on my lap when the same or similar content is available as a
mirror in my native language.

You can block Class As, or not, as you see fit for your machine.  You can
support the position I am taking, or not.  Your choice.  I am expanding my
audience as most of the detractors to it are coming across like the DC and
NYC neighborhood residents who want to see killers and car thieves jailed,
but who also don't want the jail to be in their neighborhoods.  Actually
worse, because many of the ISP operators seem to have no interest in any
enforcement against spammers.  (Curiosity, what is your role?)  Since RR
and similar have no interest in self policing one must take a harsher
approach.  I have yet to see a rational reason why a draconian approach
begun locally, then expanded won't work.  If you have one now, before I
start drafting letters and form a PAC lobbying group, is a good time to
present one.

P.S. frequency?

John Sage wrote:

Two fragments from your comments reveal the same parochial attitude.

/* snip */

Sure. You have no involvement with the vast majority of nations on
this planet, not now or ever. They simply don't exist, as far as
you're concerned.

Good for you. Your vision doesn't extend past the horizon.

It might come as a real surprise to you to learn that your "State
license" will have absolutely no effect on off-shore spam operations.

But I forgot: you ignore most of the world's existence.

It wouldn't occur to you that a license or law drafted in the United
States would have no standing in that vast part of the world you're
not aware of.

- John
-- "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" - John Sage: InfoSec Groupie