[Dshield] ICMP Echo Requests

Martin Sheard martin at mgjs.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 13:31:07 GMT 2003

Firstly can I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this but I am
unable to get any help from my service provider other than their suggestion
to submit my firewall log files to Dshield which I have been doing since 9
Dec. but I see that Dshield ignores ICMP entries.

Upto a couple of months ago I had a static IP address and had no problems
but after a technical problem at my SP's end was repaired I have since had
dynamic IP addresses. Very occasionally I get an IP address where I get no
ICMP entries but most days I get approx 17,000 per day.

It appears that my firewall is blocking every attempt and Shields Up reports
that my system is completely Stealthed. I run Norton AV everyday and have
even downloaded and run the FixWelch program from Norton (reported -
"W32.Welchia.Worm has not been found on your computer.").

Do I have anything to worry about? Is there anything I can do to put an end
to all the ICMP traffic?

Martin Sheard