[Dshield] Re: Spam Email is there a solution "finally"?

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Fri Dec 19 00:56:53 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 16:16, John Groseclose wrote:
<snip>
> Doug White writes:
>
> > I guess the Challenge/Response systems are OK, but as Johann mentioned, the user
> > should go in and make sure he has whitelisted the list servers that are
> > subscribed to.
> >
> > I know when I receive one of those C/R emails after posting to a list server, I
> > do not click on the confirmation but usually just discard the email
>
> I'm a subscriber on an awful lot of lists.
>
> 1) I get "vacation" notices from subscribers to these lists when I post.
> 2) I get "challenge" e-mail from subscribers to these lists when I post.
> 3) I get "bounces" to posts from these lists from addresses that subscribed,
> then the account that subscribed disappears.
> 4) I've been added to "bad e-mail sender" lists because the originally
> subscribed address was converted into a spamtrap address without
> unsubscribing from a list.
<snip>

I'm not learning anything new from this thread, I don't know if anyone
else has. I've been looking at getting an anti-spam tool for a while now
and evaluations have told me one thing - there isn't a tool that works
all of the time and makes everyone happy.

There are disadvantages to all of the tools. The one big advantage to a
challenge response tool? People stop complaining that they're getting
spam. Every other tool lets some spam through unless you completely lock
it down and then you miss legit email. This one in it's default setting
stops spam from getting to the end user.

As with everything, you have to train your users to use it properly or
the tool is completely useless.

We still haven't made a decision, and the spam goes on...

Kenton