[Dshield] ICMP Echo Requests

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Sat Dec 20 07:13:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Martin Sheard wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:31:07 -0000
> From: Martin Sheard <martin at mgjs.co.uk>
> To: list at dshield.org
> Subject: [Dshield] ICMP Echo Requests

> Do I have anything to worry about? Is there anything I can do to put an end
> to all the ICMP traffic?

If you're running Linux, it's a matter of changing a value in the /proc
fs. It's something like: icmp_requests_ignore, change to "1". The Windows
machines on my ISP's net ping away to me constantly, all day long. This
machine drops them all ;)

I can't help but think that's a major security hole- I surely wouldn't
want to say "Hi! Here I am!" to every other machine mine could find, IMHO.

=-=-=.:|DISTRIBUTION|PROGRAMMING|RESEARCH|PORTAL|:.-=-=
[jayjwa] RLF#37       Raq glenaal: Nffnfvangr Ovyy Tngrf
[Atr2.Ath.Cx Labs]                  Jvaqbjf vf n qvfrnfr
Finger for proj.       "Putting encryption to good use."
silc://atr2.ath.cx:706..........Silc: http://silcnet.org
=Linux Tough.Powered By Slackware=-HTTPS|FTP|SILC|SSH-=