[Dshield] New email spam

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Mon Dec 22 05:26:30 GMT 2003

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Barton L. Phillips wrote:

> I have been getting 15 to 20 of these emails a day. They all seem to
> have bad links and the plain text and part of the html has a bunch of
> random words. I thought maybe this was an attempt to confuse the Bayes
> filters. Any thoughts?

My guess is a "are you there?" spam: Trying to find valid emails maybe?
This spam could contain a webbacon/clear gif to alert the spammers that
they have found a "live" address. Because such spam would be sent out in
an even greater number than the usually, the babbling garbage in it may be
to confuse the Bayanese filters, like you said.

We all know spammers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawr, but I don't
think anyone would waste their time sending out random garbage without
_any_ reason to it ;)

=-=-=.:|DISTRIBUTION|PROGRAMMING|RESEARCH|PORTAL|:.-=-=
[jayjwa] RLF#37       Raq glenaal: Nffnfvangr Ovyy Tngrf
[Atr2.Ath.Cx Labs]                  Jvaqbjf vf n qvfrnfr
Finger for proj.       "Putting encryption to good use."
silc://atr2.ath.cx:706..........Silc: http://silcnet.org
=Linux Tough.Powered By Slackware=-HTTPS|FTP|SILC|SSH-=