[Dshield] testing a firewall

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Tue Dec 23 16:47:14 GMT 2003

All comments regarding Gibson Research aside, I think this quote says it
all - "Internet security checkup and information service".
This site doesn't really do anything like what a determined hacker would
try. My firewall has ports that are open to our DMZ/Service network, but
because it has "stealth technology" it doesn't actually respond to this
type of scan. Therefore Shields-up, says that I'm perfectly secure, and
doesn't even report the ports that I have open. If I've configured my
firewall from scratch, this site won't tell me anything I shouldn't
already know.
>From what I learned in SANS track 2 (thanks Chris), it's the stuff you
don't know about or that you've overlooked that is the most dangerous,
and this site isn't going to tell you that.

Kenton