[Dshield] testing a firewall

michael nancarrow michael.nancarrow at ac3.com.au
Tue Dec 23 23:26:42 GMT 2003

Sorry,
	I'm afraid I wasn't clear. I am using nmap and superscan to
	test the firewall, problem is that without something on the other side
	of the firewall guaranteed to respond to everything how can you be sure
	the firewall is working correctly.

		nmap scanner ----> f/w -----> server 10.1.1.1 exists
							server 10.1.1.2-254 (don't exist)
	apart from setting up multiple addresses how can you confirm the explicit
	ip address rule is working correctly.

	and,
		nmap scanner ------> f/w ------> http allowed
							   services 81 to 1024 not allowed
	if the firewall is responding with a reset ack no problem but nmap comes
back
	with a port closed. Which is not definitive.

	Also suppose you want to map all the rules on the firewall and compare
	to the rule set in a simulated environment, what we wanted to do. When you
	are talking about 200 odd addresses and 10 different services on each
	system it becomes a real nuisance.

	Reason Iam chasing this is that we used the "recommended" method for
setting
	of the firewall service for IPSEC from the vendor, problem was it opened
	up all services for that system, the only reason I found it was that I used
	ethereal with nmap and noticed the reset, acks were coming from the server
	and not the firewall.
thanks
Mike

Message: 12