[Dshield] New email spam

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Wed Dec 24 11:54:37 GMT 2003

The problem with padding a Subject line is then it runs afoul of any filter
that checks for garbage words.  Anthing with xjsfgiu or wtu82uwt in a
Subject line usually gets autotrashed on this PC.  (So too does "Hi" as a
Subject.)

Subject: RE: [Dshield] New email spam
From: "Chris Mitchell" <cmitchell at smtusa.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:53:44 -0500
To: "'General DShield Discussion List'" <list at dshield.org>

I was always told the padding was to generate extra characters so that an
email could not be filtered by size or some kind of check sum based on size.
This would allow the spammer to send the same message in the subject instead
of having to buy or create a program which would rotate through pre-created
messages.  Maybe someone else can comment if I am incorrect.

Thanks
Chris Mitchell
Network Administrator
220 E. Central Pkwy Suite 1010