[Dshield] Communication when emails are being watched

DAN MORRILL dan_20407 at msn.com
Wed Dec 24 15:13:38 GMT 2003

Actually,

You do have support for embedding messages in PING packets. That has been a
viable and valid covert channel for years at this point. They even talked
about it at a SANS conference that I went to and showed images embedded in
an ICMP packet that were captured at a honey pot. So not being paranoid at
all, especially since the channel exists, and has been used in the past.

Since the packet though will be larger, you could probably tack on a rule
that says If ICMP has "Data Payload" > 25 then capture >> largeicmp.log

That might be really interesting to try.
r/
Dan

Sometimes MSN E-mail will indicate that the mesasge failed to be delivered.
Please resend when you get those, it does not mean that the mail box is bad,
merely that MSN mail is over worked at the time.

Otherwise, hope things are going well.
r/
Dan