[Dshield] Communication when emails are being watched

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Dec 25 17:04:11 GMT 2003

I thought of that.  Also I was thinking if you arranged your slave PCs in
tiers of 8 (for redundancy of the message in case one PC somewhere is down)
you could create a receptor system capable of receiving a binary code.  Yes
there was a ping in a certain time range could equal 1, no there wasn't
could equal 0.  (Or invert?)  That way the existence of the ping itself
would be the message.  That would enable receipt of complete ASCII (or a
variant thereof) code.  In short, complete messages.  Simple access to
firewall logs or a similar software from the enslaved PCs (which might not
even be in the same country as the end reader) would enable reading the
results.    The time online could be reduced by coming up with a simpler
code requiring only half of ASCII (i.e., lower case letters and numbers
only.  Are vowels needed?).  I haven't done the math yet, but I suspect a
shorter binary code is possible.  Six comes to mind as that would allow 36
characters, 26 letters and 0 to 9.  The vulnerable time period would be
when the end reader was online reading or transmitting the next set of ping
instructions to the machine configured to send out the pings.  Still this
would slide right by our common conception of an IP looking for and buffer
capturing email text messages.  The pings would probably be viewed as just
noise to be filtered out or ignored.  Admin access to a large LAN setup
somewhere (ideally an entire range) on the end users part would probably be
the best way of managing a ping reader designed to function in groups of
six or eight and greatly reduce detection risk, as multiple IP addresses
probably require more resources to monitor, intercept and decrypt.

I would imagine a ping containing a picture would be a large packet.  How
about one with only one or two words imbedded (not necessarily in the
clear, maybe an anagram?) or a number string to be interpreted?  How much
bigger than a normal ping would that have to be?  A casual check would only
show someone is pinging that particular PC a lot or that a machine seems to
be infected and is pinging.  Since the end reader would not be the owner or
registered user of the PC making or receiving the pings probably no one
would be watching for message patterns.