[Dshield] Communication when emails are being watched

DAN MORRILL dan_20407 at msn.com
Fri Dec 26 14:26:23 GMT 2003

so what we can do is take one of the unassigned ICMP code types

Type	Name					Reference
----	-------------------------		---------
  0	Echo Reply				 [RFC792]
  1	Unassigned				    [JBP]
  2	Unassigned				    [JBP]
  3	Destination Unreachable			 [RFC792]
  4	Source Quench			 	 [RFC792]
  5	Redirect				 [RFC792]
  6	Alternate Host Address			    [JBP]
  7	Unassigned				    [JBP]
  8	Echo					 [RFC792]
  9	Router Advertisement			[RFC1256]
10	Router Solicitation			[RFC1256]
11	Time Exceeded				 [RFC792]
12	Parameter Problem			 [RFC792]
13	Timestamp				 [RFC792]
14	Timestamp Reply				 [RFC792]
15	Information Request			 [RFC792]
16	Information Reply			 [RFC792]
17	Address Mask Request                     [RFC950]
18	Address Mask Reply			 [RFC950]
19	Reserved (for Security)			   [Solo]
20-29	Reserved (for Robustness Experiment)	    [ZSu]
30	Traceroute				[RFC1393]
31	Datagram Conversion Error		[RFC1475]
32     Mobile Host Redirect              [David Johnson]
33     IPv6 Where-Are-You                 [Bill Simpson]
34     IPv6 I-Am-Here                     [Bill Simpson]
35     Mobile Registration Request        [Bill Simpson]
36     Mobile Registration Reply          [Bill Simpson]
37     Domain Name Request                     [RFC1788]
38     Domain Name Reply                       [RFC1788]
39     SKIP                                    [Markson]
40     Photuris                                [RFC2521]
41-255 Reserved				    [JBP]

either 7 or anything that does not trigger a IDS but means something to a
program that would be written to track the follow on packet, or look for
type 40 + data, or type 7 + data. Would be easier to write a program to
either track a reserved or unassigned ICMP type and either look at the
follow on packet or within the unassigned packet for data.

That would make the covert channel not too bad.
r/
Dan

Sometimes MSN E-mail will indicate that the mesasge failed to be delivered.
Please resend when you get those, it does not mean that the mail box is bad,
merely that MSN mail is over worked at the time.

Otherwise, hope things are going well.
r/
Dan