[Dshield] Major Increase in Dictionary Attacks Against MTAs

Tony Nichols tony at mail.applog.com
Wed Dec 31 14:22:27 GMT 2003

I have sendmail also .... Never use to see these but now I've seen 3 in the
last few weeks.
I've used the throttle setting to stop the larger ones ... The offending ip
address is recorded; but when I notify the owner I get a failed to deliver
message. So I've been adding their ip block to my shorewall blacklist.
If you'd like I can try and dig up the logs..... But I think I just kept the
LogWatch part - it has the attempted names and the ip address that initiated
them.

Just drop me a line off list.

A.G. (Tony) Nichols
I.S. Manager