[Dshield] Realtime_Spy (Now - Know your tools)

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Jan 3 22:26:51 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:21:00PM -0600, Michael Thayer wrote:
> At 10:36 AM 1/3/03 -0800, John Sage wrote:
>
> >I admit to the impossibility of switching OS's for most people;
> >however, that impossibility alone remains as the clearest evidence of
> >the degree of harm the current OS monoculture has caused.
>

> A bit over the top there.  Back in my mainframe days, I had to deal
with only one vendor for all my needs.  IBM was quite responsive,
given the large number of user modifications that existed for their OS.

> I think the problem is that the MS world is not CLOSED ENOUGH.  If
they also were the main hardware vendor, things would be much simpler.
All open source does is make each user his own systems programmer,
which is fun for geeks like John and me, but hell for most people.

> Macintosh anyone??

Personally, I prefer Fujis.

/* apple joke -- real apples */

- John
--
Has the preparation
of your heart been ready?

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705