[Dshield] Advice Request on Firewalls

Luke LeCrosse luke646 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 20:27:13 GMT 2003

Greetings to all list members.

It's been awhile since I posted. It seems that much of your exchanges go right over my head. I percieve many if not most of you are system/security managers for large companies and such and have elaborate set ups with which you are concerned.
I on the other hand do not. I run a Dell 8250 which, to spare the boring details; Is pretty well "stoked", i.e....they haven't made a faster HOME version yet. Which probably only raises a wink from you folks with what you deal with everyday.

However, on this question of security, perhaps you could help.

WHAT IS IN FACT THE MOST RECOMMENDED FIREWALL PRODUCED FOR HOME USE BY THE LIST MEMBERS?

I was using the most recent MacAffees, and am now trying out the "Blackice" by ISS.
Blackice seems to lack many feature which the Mac offered, however, I am still playing with it to determine it's over-all abilities. Are Norton, Sysgate, or ZoneAlarm any better?
Are there others which I may not have heard of?

To answer the obvious reply: "It all depends on what exactly you are looking for in a Firewall." #1 Is the best record and reputation for stopping crack attempts. #2 The best informational output, such as Trace Route Map, with WHOIS data, precision port blocking capability. It would also be nice if the thing was capable of producing pre-formatted reports able to be submitted to this list.

Thank to one and all.

Best Regards,

Luke