[Dshield] Advice please

Carl Inglis wyrdrune at yoshiwara.org.uk
Wed Jul 30 12:25:26 GMT 2003

Quoting David Hart <hart401 at TQMcube.com>:

> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 06:49, Carl Inglis wrote:
> > Here's the scenario:
> >
> > My employers have a Win2K box, hosted off-site. It's not behind any
> sort
> > of firewall, and has been r00ted to hell and back. It's about to be
> > rebuilt, and they've asked me to investigate a software firewall for
> it.
> > They originally suggested ZoneAlarm, but ZA is (IMO) not suitable for
> an
> > unmanned machine.
> >
> You haven't told us what the machine is used for nor how it is
> networked. MUST it be a software solution and MUST it remain a Win2K
> box? What does "cheap" mean to you?

It's used for an FTP and WWW server. It's networked by some form of fat
pipe but I don't know the details.

Management have decreed that it must be software, it must stay Win2K.
Cheap (to management) means as little as they can get away with - ideally
free (bloody cheapskates - part of the reason why I'm job hunting at the
moment).

> If you were our client I would try to force you to consider the
> indirect
> costs including employee time but I digress (sometimes I cannot help
> myself).

Been there, done that, given up. Hard cash is the key factor for them.

Carl