[Dshield] MSN Messenger security

Brenden Walker BKWalker at DRBSystems.com
Thu Jul 31 19:55:02 GMT 2003

There's an oxymoron, Securing and Microsoft in the same sentence ;-)...

Assuming you're using a firewall, the ports shouldn't be open anyway (if you
subscribe to the block everything and just open the holes you need
methodology).

As far as Hotmail automatically installing MSN Messenger, this can be
disabled by turning off the functions in IE that it uses to do so
(presumably Java, Javascript, Active X or something like that).  But of
course the users could turn it back on.

I think folks here would need to know more about the network layout, what
resources are in place (firewalls, proxy servers, etc)....