[Dshield] unknown port

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Thu Jun 5 00:53:32 GMT 2003

Akamai is a 'Content Distribution Network'. As such, it hosts content
for high traffic web sites. If you run for example cnn.com, you can
pay Akamai to cache your content. Akamai operates thousands of cache
servers around the Internet, one may be co-located with your ISP.

If you go to cnn.com (in this example, I am not sure if they use
Akamai), the Akamai magic will redirect you to the server that is
closest to you. As a result, you see faster response times.

So it doesn't fall into the spy ware category.

 also see: http://www.akamai.com/