[Dshield] Off topic question #2 of the day

Paul Marsh pmarsh at nmefdn.org
Thu Jun 12 21:14:24 GMT 2003

I'm looking for some information regarding Fed. and/or state regulation regarding electronic transferring of information.  I know about HIPPA but I've also heard things in passing about banks and like companies that have to follow the same sort of regulations.  The reason I'm asking is because the users in my financial department are exchanging e-mails with other organization that could be considered to contain personal information either in the body of the e-mail or in attachments.  I want to make sure I'm following the Fed. or state regulation before I start encrypting e-mails.

Thanx, Paul