[Dshield] Managing multiple reporting sources

dsb@rlx.com dsb at rlx.com
Wed Jun 18 02:52:11 GMT 2003

Just to clarify, LDAP is not an encryption protocol, but rather a directory
service.  Not sure exactly the relation of LDAP to the topic at hand,
though.

On your other points, I agree completely, and have implemented both
alternatives (VPN and SSH/SCP) in active configurations right now.

I manage four disparate networks for the same company.  Between two sites,
we have a hardware-based point-to-point VPN solution in place.  However, to
conserve bandwidth and provide better reliability, I still don't remote log.
Instead, in all four locations, I have a local syslog collecting server that
all the other machines send copies of their logs to.  These, in turn, have
cron jobs that rotate and send their logs to a single centralized server,
where they are processed, correlated, and archived (all on a RAID for more
reliability.)

Perhaps a bit overkill for some configurations, but applicable and scalable.

-db