[Dshield] Applicable Internet Laws

Greg Broiles gbroiles at parrhesia.com
Wed Jun 18 19:02:23 GMT 2003

At 11:00 AM 6/18/2003, Luke LeCrosse wrote:

>Regards everyone.
>
>Would any of you know where I might find the applicable laws regulating
>the use of the Internet? And in particular; Those which cover attempted
>"cracking", and otherwise un-solicited access attempts to one's PC?

There isn't just one set of "laws"; the applicable laws depend on the
physical location of the perpetrator and the victim.

In the US, it's worth looking at federal law, and the laws of the
origination and target state(s).

For federal statutes, try 18 USC 2510 or 18 USC 1030, available online at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ .

You might also find http://www.cybercrime.gov/cclaws.html of interest.

--
Greg Broiles