[Dshield] security.scan.sec.rr.com

Doug White doug at dwhite.ws
Wed Jun 18 20:38:45 GMT 2003

I can understand what RR is trying to do, but it seems like a sledge hammer is
being used to break watermelons.  All they seem to be doing is to be adding to
the congestion on the net.

My mail gateway, has been receiving spam via rr open relays consistently for a
number of months, each duly reported to abuse@  These are not going through
dynamic IP numbers, but static numbers, which means it should not be a moving
target to track down and eliminate. Not only have they not managed to shut down
the open relays, they do not even seem to be attempting to do so.

The end result?  Those static IP numbers are appearing on black lists in
increasing numbers.  This is only hurting rr customers, not anyone else.