[Dshield] security.scan.sec.rr.com

Ed Truitt truited at raq2.mylinuxisp.com
Thu Jun 19 18:49:04 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:10:41PM +0200, Stephane Grobety wrote:
> >> The boilerplate reply is
> >> somewhat generic, however, My point is that they should spend at least that
> >> amount of effort on closing open relays within their own net block - this is
> >> where the failure seems to be.
>
> JH> Granted, they should be putting effort into cleaning their own house.
>
> Hum... maybe there is an idea here: if you have/see an open relay in
> THEIR network, use it to relay you mail to complain about SPAM to
> their abuse dep ;)

Another way to separate this particular feline life-form from its epidural coating:  If you see an open relay in their network, send a report to their abuse department - relaying it *through the open relay*.  And, of course, if you spot an open proxy, you can always send the abuse folks an email that reads:  "I'm an open barn door - please make my owner close me before all the horses get out."  Abuse-desk jockeys need a good laugh every once in awhile, too ;-)
--
Edward D. (Ed) Truitt
email:  ed.truitt at etee2k.net
http://www.etee2k.net
"Note to spammers: my 'delete' key is connected to YOUR ISP.