[Dshield] RE:Best Buy revisited

Doug White doug at dwhite.ws
Fri Jun 20 15:20:42 GMT 2003

Just received this emil from Best Buy:  (I am a customer, and an affiliate)
Doug

IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an
unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail
message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit
card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That
message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly
resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that
unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to
prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of
the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure.
The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy
and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy
Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing
will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product
information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured,
the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or
visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade
Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

If you've opted out of Best Buy promotional e-mails, don't worry: you haven't
been signed up again. We just wanted to make sure you knew about this situation,
regardless of whether you receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. You will NOT
continue to receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. Thank you.