[Dshield] RE:Best Buy revisited

Mark Tombaugh mtombaugh at alliedcc.com
Sat Jun 21 00:14:15 GMT 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 11:20 am, Doug White wrote:
> Just received this emil from Best Buy:  (I am a customer, and an affiliate)
> Doug
>
> IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Man. I got this same thing, but it wasn't from bestbuy.com. I got an email
from an outsourced marketing group explaining this. Which means they handed
over my email address, one of the things they said they wouldn't do when I
entered personal information at their site.

Maybe I'm missing something, but to use an outsourced emailer to tell people
of a bait & switch, isnt that actually a bait & switch in itself?... It might
actually provoke people to follow fraudulent links, since the legitimate
links they sent are indeed outside of the domain bestbuy.com, but still have
the word bestbuy in the URL. Here is a snippet from the email I received:

> No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online
> business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is
> of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you
> provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.
> To view our Privacy Policy, please visit:
> http://bestbuy.postfuture.com/P/v3/r.asp?r=T1_Urlsnip

> As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com,
> online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning
> Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful
> resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the
> fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our
> redesigned Web site.

> If you have any questions, call Customer Care at
> 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom at:
> http://bestbuy.postfuture.com/P/v3/r.asp?r=T1_Urlsnip

> To find out more about protecting your information, visit the
> Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at:
> http://bestbuy.postfuture.com/P/v3/r.asp?r=T1_Urlsnip

The links point to a visual copycat of bestbuy.com, without the products. I
realize they are trying to do everything possible to protect consumers from
this, but this seems a bit shady to me.