[Dshield] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Port Blocking

Bjorn Stromberg bjorn at thechemistrylab.com
Fri Jun 27 17:57:01 GMT 2003

<snip>
> The second thought is, what if ISPs were like cable companies.  What if
they only allowed specific
> ports (like channels) that they seem appropriate to their users???
</snip>

They would cease being Internet Service Providers. If you are only serving
web-access to people you could not say you were serving internet access. It
scares me to hear people thinking of allowing ISPs to block all "extraneous"
traffic as this would kill the internet as we know it and transform the
free, wonderfully open internet that we know today into a tool of
corporations to serve advertising. Protecting users is no excuse for an ISP
to not serve full, unabridged, wide-open internet access. If the users
cannot handle this, they should pay someone to hold their hand.

The only protection I want is that of my liberties.

Bjorn Stromberg
Mid-Continent Testing Laboratories, Inc.
http://www.TheChemistryLab.com/