[Dshield] AOL rejecting emails ?

Andreas Bischoff a.bischoff at ieee.org
Sun Jun 29 21:01:46 GMT 2003

Dear all,

in light of the discussions about port and content filtering
I decided to describe my little problem with AOL, although
it's not directly security related:

Today I got the following error message after sending an email to
an AOL user:

The original message was received at Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:46:44 +0200
from dclientxx-xxx-x-xxx.hispeed.ch [xx.xxx.x.xxx]

<xxxxxxx at aol.com>
    (reason: 550 DIRECT CONNECTION FROM DIAL-UP OR DYNAMIC-IP DENIED)

... while talking to mailin-03.mx.aol.com.:
<<< 550 DIRECT CONNECTION FROM DIAL-UP OR DYNAMIC-IP DENIED
... while talking to mailin-04.mx.aol.com.:
>>> QUIT

Anybody else seen such behavior ?

Best Regards,

	Andreas