[mail_lists] Re: [Dshield] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Port Blocking

Rick Leske rick at jaray.net
Sun Jun 29 22:36:51 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug White" <doug at dwhite.ws>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 7:11 AM
Subject: Re: [mail_lists] Re: [Dshield] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Port Blocking

> I wonder if that is local to your area.  My provider is SBC, and they
block
> nothing at all.  I operate Web Servers, Mail servers, Anti-spam filtering
> servers, etc, a whole rack of them.

Just curious.. how did you get AOL to accept your mail when none of your
domains have proper rDSN records?

clickdoug.com reports: 66.139.91.40
dwhite.ws reports: 66.139.91.34

Did you have to write AOL and ask them to except your mail because your rDNS
records are pointing to: adsl-66-139-91-34.dsl.snantx.swbell.net and not
ns2.dwhite.ws?

> I might add if they ever did start blocking ports as a matter of course
and not
plenty
> to choose from here.

I would think that if you are in full compliance of SBC TOS
http://sbc.yahoo.com/terms/ as a business then they wouldn't have any
issues.

~Rick

> ======================================
> Stop spam on your domain, use our gateway!
> For hosting solutions http://www.clickdoug.com
> ISP rated: http://www.forta.com/cf/isp/isp.cfm?isp_id=772
> ======================================
> If you are not satisfied with my service, my job isn't done!

Blocking

> | On Friday 27 June 2003 19:36, you wrote:
> |
> | Some ISP's are taking things too far, imo.  Up until this week, ports
21, 80,
> | and 25 were blocked.  I could live with my ISP blocking those ports as
they
> | are abused by some people.  Now, here's the stinker!  My ISP just
started
> | blocking ALL incoming ports.  Every one is blocked!  I can't even ssh to
my
> | machine anymore.  I can't scp files between my machines and other remote
> | machines that I work on remotely.  This is starting to tick me off!
That is
> | just uncalled for in my opinion.  I could get more service out of dialup
back
> | in the day!  ISPs are going too far, imo.  I pay to get service TO and
FROM