[Dshield] AOL rejecting emails ?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Jun 30 02:31:08 GMT 2003

Geoff Shively wrote:

> Quite disappointing to see one of the largest ISPs in the world to implement
> such changes with flagrant disregard for any pertinent RFCs. It is also
> a bit disconcerting to see that SPAM is driving such changes. Not to turn
> this into some ANTI-SPAM thread, because we all know there are enough of
> those
> that they become spam themselves, but what do others propose as a solution
> besides refusing such connections?

Exactly which RFC are they breaking here?  There's no RFC that says you
must accept mail from any host.  It's their choice.  In most cases if
you are on a dynamic IP address then you shouldn't be sending mail
directly but relaying through your email provider's smarthost.  If your
IP address is wrongfully listed in a RBL as belonging to a dynamic pool,
then that is cause for concern.

Brian