[mail_lists] content filtering, isp responsiblity...(Was: Re: [Dshield] Re:[Full-Disclosure]Port Blocking)

Jim jconner at enterit.com
Mon Jun 30 02:39:06 GMT 2003

On Sunday 29 June 2003 06:40, Mrcorp wrote:
| Lets spice this up a bit...
|
| In the US, companies have the right to protect employees.  For example,
| lets say I am walking down the hall, and I see my peer browsing porn.  If I
| take offense, i can sue my company.  Now mind you this is a US law.  The
| company is obligated to protect me.  Could one assume the same for the ISP?
| What if I have a child, and he/she is on a porn page.  Or I start to
| receive porn spam.  Could one hold their ISP responsible?

Lets hope not!!  If you are suggesting such a thing then I boldly say that it
is just a silly suggestion.

This would cross the line of 'who should take responsiblity vs who gets
blamed for others' actions'.  ISPs should *not* be responsible for the
content on the Internet and the content that flows through the ISP to the
end-user.

The end-user is responsible.  The ISP can be "nice" (tm) and filter that
stuff on the part of the end-user if the end-user is interested in such a
service but really we have to be realistic here.

Is the phone company responsible for people who call your home making
ludricous claims to whomever answers the phone?  Nope.  That will never
happen.  The phone company simply provides a medium.  Ultimately, the people
who should claim responsibility are the end-users and the ones who put the
content on the Internet.  Parents need to claim responsibility for their
children if their kids are seeing things on the Internet they shouldn't be
seeing.  Parents should do whatever they can to keep that stuff away from
their kids...even if it means getting rid of the Internet service altogether
or locking the computer that is connected to the Internet in room where kids
can't get access.  There are ways...none of them perfect.  But if we start
holding the middle guy responsible for lame things like that then the people
who will suffer are the end-users, ultimately.

People putting content on the Internet need to be more diligent in making
sure that young prying eyes can't get to their content.  It seems that such a
thing may even require an invisible "partnership" betwixt parents and those
content providers.

- Jim

| This isnt exactly ports, but content...
|
| mrcorp