[Dshield] ugly packets

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Mon Mar 3 17:19:51 GMT 2003

Let me return to this post, as I've just been conversing off-list with
Melvin, and see if I can get what I believe to be a relevant comment
past the moderators :-/

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:08:30PM -0800, melvin smith wrote:
> while looking at some packets in CommView I
> noticed some strange characters that I've
> never seen before.

<snip>

> I'd like to send a sample screenshot of the strange
> characters to the list but I know attachments aren't
> allowed.

Posting a picture helps no one.

1) It does present a minor problem in terms of mail size, and in terms
of the fact, as incredible as it may seem, that some people don't
accept images as attachments, or won't willingly view them

and, most importantly:

2) any and every character has one, and only one, encoding. The fact
that someone sees a "strange character" means little beyond the
probability that:

a) they don't have the correct font installed to view the character;

b) their operating system itself can't cope with the "strange
character"

The character that looks so "strange" to you is certainly very
visible, and very understandable to millions of people somewhere.

Sending a picture helps no one. It tells us that you're not set up to
view the character, but it's unlikely to bring anyone any information
that helps us decode its meaning for you.

/* EOF */

- John
--
"Obviously, we do not want to leave zombies around."

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705