[Dshield] Email blocking security question

Chateauneuf dupape at bellatlantic.net
Tue Mar 4 23:45:11 GMT 2003

At 03:17 PM 3/4/2003 -0700, Richard Roy authored the following:
>I have a security question that has come up as a sort of internal
>debate.   Archive files (.zip) specifically.  Do you allow them thru the
>firewall in email attachments?  Some of my peers feel they should be
>blocked as they can be autoexecuted.  I'm not sure, I didn't think they
>could be but we need to be safe these days.  Currently we block .pif,
>.scr, .exe, .bat, .vb*, .com    anyone think of any others.
>Thanks

If you are doing a virus scan between the mail server and clients (assuming
that it scans through archives like zip) there is no reason to block .zip
files. Auto executing zip files have an .exe extension.

IMO, zip files are much more likely to be valid attachments than a problem.