[Dshield] Email blocking security question

Tony Nichols tony at mail.applog.com
Tue Mar 4 23:44:28 GMT 2003

tony at mail.applog.com
888-999-2574 x124

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at dshield.org [mailto:list-bounces at dshield.org] On Behalf
Of Richard Roy
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:17 PM
To: list at dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] Email blocking security question

I have a security question that has come up as a sort of internal
debate.   Archive files (.zip) specifically.  Do you allow them thru the
firewall in email attachments?  Some of my peers feel they should be blocked
as they can be autoexecuted.  I'm not sure, I didn't think they could be but
we need to be safe these days.  Currently we block .pif,
.scr, .exe, .bat, .vb*, .com    anyone think of any others.
Thanks

Richard Roy
Network Administrator
JusticeTrax Inc