[Dshield] Whom do you trust?

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Thu Mar 6 20:03:51 GMT 2003

I may not have been clear enough in my previous post.  The comment was not
aimed at this particular DNSBL, but at DNSBLs in general - especially OPEN
ones.  While you and I and many others may use them for their intended
purposes, what is to keep a spammer from searching a BL - for example,
ordb.org - for open relays that can be abused?  And, since anyone can set up
a DNSBL, it is entirely possible that a spammer or spam-enabler could set up
a DNSBL, go through the scanning process, then allow spammers / spamware
access to the zone to select relays to pump their spam runs through.

Personally, I don't have a problem with my SMTP server being checked out by
the DNSBLs - I keep it locked down tight, and if they find anything then I
surely want to know about it.  And, I don't have any problems with the BL
mentioned in this thread.  However, I don't think it is impossible that
these BLs could be used by spammers.

Cheers,
Ed Truitt
http://www.etee2k.net