[Dshield] How does a worm writer send his worm to other victims

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Fri Mar 7 16:24:03 GMT 2003

The worm uses its own built-in SMTP server.  I suspect it also contains the
SMTP commands needed to create and then send the email.  About the only way
you could try this out would be to telnet to your server's SMTP port, and
type in the commands and parameters by hand. There are several places you
can find these commands, I have a book called "Open Source Email Security"
which describes the MIME Message Header Fields (including Content-Type), but
I suspect you can find these defined in the relevant RFCs (in this case,
RFC2045 and RFC 2046.)

HTH.

Cheers,
Ed Truitt