[Dshield] How does a worm writer send his worm to other victims

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Sat Mar 8 01:10:28 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 05:05, sasa s wrote:

> How does a worm writer send his worm to other victims?

The worm program connects to the mail server and sends a message.

> Is there a software that enables him to do so?

The worm is written to do that.

> I want to test my content filter & I don't know how to send the
> mail to test it, because I've to change MIME code by myself so
> how can I send it to my server?

Learn to talk SMTP to your mail server:

[johnh at johnh johnh]$ telnet boundary.aproposretail.com smtp
Trying 172.20.255.254...
Connected to mail.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 boundary.aproposretail.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.8.7; Fri, 7 Mar
2003 17:09:04 -0800
helo johnh
250 boundary.aproposretail.com Hello IDENT:johnh at johnh.apropos.com
[192.0.0.89], pleased to meet you
mail from: johnh at aproposretail.com
250 2.1.0 johnh at aproposretail.com... Sender ok
rcpt to: johnh at aproposretail.com
250 2.1.5 johnh at aproposretail.com... Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
(message headers...)

(message body...)

.
250 2.0.0 h2819Fb09821 Message accepted for delivery
quit
221 2.0.0 boundary.aproposretail.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
[johnh at johnh johnh]$

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ                           <johnh at aproposretail.com>